Web 2.0 Awards was a great place to see some well-known sites, such as Flickr, Facebook and Google Earth and explore unfamiliar sites. I loved how the sites are organized by subject, too. I plan to visit the Web 2.0 Awards site periodically to see what's new....and of course, the free sites are always the 'teacher's favorite'!
I'm still awed by GoogleDocs after discovering it in an earlier exercise; this is a powerful tool that has many professional and personal applications. I took a tour of Google's Picasa, which offers an amazing variety of photo editing and publishing tools. I finally gave up film cameras a few years ago, but my digital pictures are in jumbled files scattered on the computer. Picasa has motivated me to organize and do something with my pictures. (As soon as I finish the 23 Things, of course!) I then checked out the interactive mapping sites; Frappr took to long to open, so I visited Wayfaring instead. (More appealing name!) I visited some of the 'best' maps, which included an ArtWalk in Alabama, coffee stops in Montana and best sites in Sweden. Unfortunately, when I searched for maps of my city and favorite destinations, nothing came up. I wondered if the site is just so young, and relatively unknown still? CommunityWalk seemed very similiar; I did find a great map of art galleries around Washington, D.C. In a school setting ,this tool might be good for student geography activities or projects.
I was curious about Career Builder, having heard radio endorsements. I explored different job and benefits descriptions, then found a link to a cbsalary.com which calculates average salaries by job title, both nationally and locally. This site could be used (with a warning about pop-up ads requesting personal information) for high school economics lessons or career exploration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment