Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thing 12: Creating Community Through Commenting

This thing helped me sort through some of the questions I had regarding privacy, commenting, responding to comments, etc. CoolCatTeacher's post on commenting made some really good points...especially in dealing with criticism or worse, flamers. I think this is especially important to teach to children how to comment appropriately and respectfully, and how to deal with vindictive comments. The comments on Edublogger Etiquette about replying to every comment was interesting. I could see how time consuming it could be to respond if you received a lot of comments. Perhaps it's okay to just allow the dialogue flow, and jump back in when you have something meaningful to add. I think you may just want to mention this upfront, so visitors don't take offense.

Blogging Basics 101 gave some great tips on privacy. I'm a naturally private person and would like to come up with some distinctive, clever 'brand' name, but have yet to think of one. Could I just use the name of my blog?

I have visited and enjoyed the light-hearted commentary and images from the Gargoyles Loose in the Library blog. I am on the prowl for a Texas based blog that is covering the ongoing and very controversial Social Studies curriculum rewrite. I have been following the national and regional news on this and can't believe what I have been reading. (See the editorial in the July 26 Houston Chronicle.) I will revisit this post once I have found one I like. So far, I have been 'lurking' and enjoying the postings on other Library2Play blogs....now I am off to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment