Okay, I spent way too much time playing here! I used FotoTrix to add a caption to a picture of my oldest son parasailing in Kitty Hawk, NC. The first thing I thought of was how much fun my school staff would have with this...probably too much! For students, I would NOT recommend this site because of its content. BigHugeLabs is student friendly and has an easy to use image captioner. Students could use captioning as part of a class biography project by inserting famous quotes and creating a portrait gallery.
Next I went to Dumpr and after playing with images, decided that the simpler the image, the better the product. This 'sketch from a photo' shows my husband and me at the Nittany Lion statue at Penn State, our alma mater. (Those are trees in the background.) Amazing! This might be useful for art students to learn about line, shading, perspective, texture, etc.
I also played with Wordle which creates posters using single words. Students could use this to create and illustrate poetry, or summarize key components of a story or historical event. For manipulating images, my favorite is still BigHugeLabs because of the variety of products, safety and ease of use. Some of the sites in Thing 10 were definitely not appropriate for students because of images or other content!
I love how the trees gave texture to your sketch! I think your idea of at students taking these and adapting their work t them to learn basic skills is a perfect use of these fun things!
ReplyDelete