Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thing 13: Tagging and Delicious


Social bookmarking is one of the few things that I was already familiar with. My district had a workshop on setting up and using Delicious
a few summers ago. I used it to save websites that I had bookmarked on my browser. Good thing! Our teacher computers were replaced last summer, and I would have lost all my favorites if I hadn't saved them to Delicious. Delicious allows me to quickly access my list of favorite websites from any computer.

Delicious can also be used to pre-select sites for students to visit, similar to Trackstar
. I wonder if students could also save and tag websites for research using a common site set up by the teacher? (Something to play with.) The tags are great...I searched americanhistory and found some great sites bookmarked by others. I also have two teacher friend's Delicious pages in my network. Truthfully, I haven't done much with this, but plan to revisit it.

I checked out Diigo (formerly called Furl) which has similar features but also allows you to highlight and save select information from webpages. The Magnolia site is under construction and will be a 'by invitation' community if/when it becomes available again.

No comments:

Post a Comment