Whew! There was a lot of information to work through with this! I first learned about and experienced Wikis last year when participating in a Social Studies TEKS review committee. It was a great way to 'meet' and work as a committee for members who were scattered across the state.
In exploring the suggested wikis, I think that Library Success is an incredible use of a wiki where practicing librarians shared innovative ideas and best practices. I also enjoyed the Princeton Public Library's Book Lovers wiki where readers posted book reviews, organized by genres and rankings, as part of an adult summer reading club. Excellent! Miller's English 10 Wiki was a great use of this tool for students to respond to literature questions, check assignments, review vocabulary, etc. ( I was surprised to see an advertisement at the bottom of the wiki.)
As suggested in this thing, Wikis could be used for collaborative note taking or research; what a wonderful way for students to share information! I also like the idea of using a Wiki to foster literature discussions of a class novel, or to be used for a student book club. School libraries could create a wiki to allow students to review and rate books in the library's collection; this might be a good way to promote a worthy but under-circulated book. Students could also enter recommendations (and reasons) for library purchases or programs.
Wikis could also be used as a 'public forum' to solicit student opinions and engage them in discussions concerning current campus, local or national topics. Wikis could even be used to start a student petition for change to a school or local policy...civics education in action! (Dress codes always seems to be a hot issue in middle school.) When introducing features such as blogs or wikis, It is important that students are taught and reminded about the rules of 'netiquette'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment