Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Thing 18: Online Productivity Tools

I choose to explore Google Docs since I set up a Gmail account and iGoogle page for the 23 Things. I am coming to appreciate all the applications that Google offers. The Google Docs 'tour' and video were brief but very helpful. With Google Docs, you can create documents, power points, spreadsheets, etc., save them to Google Docs, and access them from any computer. Google Docs is compatible with MS Office products, so existing documents can be uploaded. (The toolbars are similar, also.) Google Docs allows you to share your documents for viewing or editing with people you select (using e-mail addresses) or to make them public. Google Docs also enables you to publish and unpublish your work to the web without knowing html code.

To get started, Google Docs provides templates for resumes, cover letters, budgets, event guest lists, power points, etc. Using the 'form' feature on spreadsheets, you can create a questionnaire (text, multiple choice, or list) for others to complete which automatically uploads their responses to a spreadsheet, without ever having to open it. I think the biggest advantage of Google Doc is that compatible MS Office products can be easily shared and edited, facilitating on-line collaboration for students and teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment