Favorite discoveries...
There were so many discoveries, but where to begin? First, I learned how easy it is to create and use a blog, as well as a bit about blogging etiquette. I also found the short but to the point videocasts from the CommonCraft guys to be extremely helpful. I loved making mash-ups at BigHugeLab...so many possibilities and so very creative. And Flickr Creative Commons makes it easy to find copyright friendly images for mash-ups. I discovered many great features in Google, including the collaborative tools available at Google Docs, photo editing and organizing at Picasa, and personalizing an iGoogle page. LibraryThing was also great for cataloging a personal or work-related library...especially if using the scanner. I also enjoyed exploring YouTube and TeacherTube and will be able to find some great material for the classroom. MS Photostory turned out to be amazingly easy to use...I intend to finally organize my family pictures, and to use it for student projects.
Life-Long Learning:
Technology is changing so rapidly, that it seems hard to keep up. Yet, I can't imagine any occupation that allows stagnation. Whether in a professional or blue collar job, workers are expected to stay current and learn new methods and technology. If not, there will easily be someone else with more skills and knowledge ready to replace you. The 23 Things program provided an interactive gallery walk to introduce some amazing Web 2.0 tools, allowing me to 'keep up'.
Unexpected Outcomes:
First, I was surprised that I was able to finish the 23 Things in less than four weeks! Second, I am a very private person, and questioned my comfort level with 'blogging'. I found that I could respond to the activities on my own terms, and still protect my privacy.
Program Format:
I thought everything worked well. I did not run into problems and thought each thing was set up in a way that gave enough basic information, and the freedom to explore more at your own pace. In fact, I was so impressed that I forwarded the 23 Things address to my campus instructional technology specialist and librarian.
Future Programs:
This was an invaluable program, and having to complete it as part of another course was certainly incentive! Still, I wonder what else is 'out there' and would definitely be interested in continuing on with the 11 1/2 Things.
One Word Summary:
Invaluable!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment